What’s the best blogging software for a developer? In addition to the normal blogging stuff I want:
- Code snippets with highlighting in many languages, though primarily python and C++
- Good markup syntax
- Runs on linux
- Ability to put images, such as diagrams, inline
If Wordpress is the answer, what plugins should I get? In the past I’ve had trouble with snippets in wordpress.
- @tanascius - I almost disagree. We ask about programming tools all of the time, why not a writing tool for programmers? And what better place to ask than SO where a lot of developers blog their thoughts and programming tutorials?
- as it isn't possible to add answers anymore I'll say that I use Wordpress and the SyntaxHighlighter plugin. For an example of this see: softwareproductdev.com/2009/08/… . The SyntaxHighlighter plugin is available at alexgorbatchev.com/wiki/SyntaxHighlighter
- You must login to post comments
Example of blogs using Jekyll:
List of many more here
Most Blogware meets 3 and 4 pretty easily (all the ones I know do, anyway).
2 is probably the biggest differentiator between blog engines. Given your requirements, I”d recommend checking out Expression Engine (has the greatest / easiest control over emitted markup that I’ve seen), with Wordpress and Blogger following not far behind.
I totally agree that Wordpress with the SyntaxHighlighter Plugin is a great choice for your purpose.
Additionally, you might want to check out a plugin I developed some time ago: SyntaxHL Editor. It offers a simple GUI to enter and modify the source code in your post.